Catholic HEART Workcamp is about SERVICE, CONNECTION and LOVING OTHERS. It all started in 1993 in Orlando, FL with 100 participants and has grown to over 13,000 serving in 2013. CHWC provides parish youth groups, teens and adult leaders service opportunities to restore homes and HEARTS, feed the hungry, lift the spirits of children, bring joy to the elderly and disabled and offer assistance while partnering with social agencies. Each Workcamp is equipped with a summer staff, director, manager, musician, nurse and priests to celebrate mass/confession. It is a youth friendly Christ centered Week of caring for others. Catholic HEART Workcamp faithfully and enthusiastically serves the Roman Catholic Church and its teachings and is an excellent opportunity to “love the least of these”.
An Opportunity to....
- Make a difference by helping others through organized and meaningful service projects
- Travel and visit another city
- Overcome the “I’m bored with my faith” blues
- Learn more about what it means to be a Catholic Increase self-esteem and self worth
- Be part of the solution to poverty
- Participate in praise and worship music that rocks
- Interact with other Catholic young people throughout the country
- Deepen your faith through the sacraments of Eucharist and Reconciliation
- Witness your faith to others
- Re-charge your faith
- Feel fulfilled and satisfied
- Take a more active role in your faith
- Bond with the other youth from your youth group
- Have a retreat experience
- Laugh, dance and have fun
- Be treated with respect by a “youth friendly” organization
- Do more than listen to a lecture Enhance your resume and college application
- Fulfill service hour requirements
- Put your faith into action
An Opportunity to....
- Experience organized and structured service projects for you and your young people
- Travel and experience another city
- Have more quality time with youth group members
- Involve more young people in your youth group
- Motivate your teens to serve and pray more
- Interact with other Catholic youth leaders from across the country
- Shake your teens out of complacency and taking things “back home” for granted
- Motivate your youth to have more love for the Church and God
- Experience new creative program ideas
- Be part of the solution to poverty
- Re-fuel your personal faith
- Be involved with active faith learning
- Bring your teens to a safe and spirit centered Catholic event
- Bring your teens to an event which they will “thank you” for participating in
- Feel fulfilled and satisfied through serving others
- Laugh, enjoy yourself and celebrate being Catholic
- Recharge your ministry, renew your passion and refresh your soul
- Be inspired and encouraged by the “youth of today”
- Revolutionize your youth group
- Rejuvenate your relationship with God and your teens
Your group will arrive at the school on the opening day of camp in the afternoon sometime between 12:00-2:30. You will probably be tired from traveling, but filled with anticipation for the week ahead.
First you will get situated in your sleeping quarters (a classroom) with your own group. Then an afternoon program filled with Mass, group mixers, singing, a video, and more that will start this great week together.
The orientation program starts promptly at 3:00 p.m. It’s very important that you be here before that time since we cannot begin the program until all campers have arrived.
You will be divided into seven member work teams. Each team will have an adult leader. We will do our best to balance males and females, and experienced and inexperienced people on each team. You will spend time going over work assignments for the coming week. Teams work best when they discuss problems and make decisions together.
Being in work teams with people from different Catholic youth groups will give you an opportunity to meet other teenagers and develop new lasting friendships. For many, your work team will be the most memorable part of the Workcamp.
You will begin the day with breakfast at 6:45 a.m. Work teams usually leave for their worksites by 8:15 a.m. and return to the school by 3:30 p.m. Each day you will spend time working at your assigned site. You’ll be involved in one or more of the following work projects:
- yard work
- indoor/outdoor clean-up
- home maintenance and repair on existing homes
- neighborhood revitalization
- helping with children at daycare centers/boys and girls clubs
- helping at centers that distribute food to the needy
- restoring hope to those who have none
You will also have time for lunch, sharing and reflection during devotions on what it means to be a servant.
After returning from your worksite, you will have an opportunity to get cleaned up and enjoy some free time. You might play some pickup games (basketball, volleyball, football, etc.), write Care Cards, take a nap or talk with your new and old friends.
Dinner will be from 5:15 – 6:15 p.m., with some free time to follow. The evening programs will be filled with activities, music, skits, videos, slides of the work day, testimonies from teens, motivational speakers and prayer. You will not be bored by any means! Each night will be different and special. There will be a opening and closing Mass with Daily Masses being offered throughout the week.
These evening programs will inspire you to continue serving the next day and renew your commitment to God. Each camp has a free day scheduled for groups to goof off and have fun seeing the sights of the host city. You and your group can choose to go to any of the area attractions. This well-deserved break will be an opportunity for fun and community building with your own youth group. The closing activities on the morning of the free day will wrap up a wonderful week at the Catholic HEART Workcamp. You will feel proud of the hard work you’ve done during the week and look forward to new opportunities to serve back home.