This camp is a “Next Level” Catholic HEART Workcamp. It is open to those entering the 9th grade in the fall of 2018 and older.
The home base for Plattsburgh CHWC is at Seton Catholic Central. Seton Catholic Central is a small Junior High and High School located just outside the city limits of Plattsburgh on an old military base. Seton Catholic Central is located within the Diocese of Ogdensburg.
- The school is not air-conditioned. However, things tend to cool down in the evenings (low 50’s-60’s) in our area, which makes it quite comfortable. One to two fans are provided in each of the classrooms.
- Females and males sleep in classrooms in separate wings of the school.
- Showers for the teens are two locker rooms in the school as well as a nearby offsite location. One locker room at the school is communal with four shower heads and the other has three private stalls. Adults will be showering off-site at two very nice facilities (one within walking distance and the other a 5 minute drive). Bathing suites must be worn while showering.
CHWC partners with several agencies and serves many individual residents in order to provide a vast variety of services to those in need and those that are homebound in our area. Work projects include anything from yard work to home repairs, and there are numerous painting sites. We also work with one boys and girls club as well as two nursing homes where campers will be visiting and assisting the elderly with daily trips and tasks.
Two Things of Note:
- If you are planning a trip into Canada, passports and letters from parents are required to cross the border.
- New York City may be in the same state as Plattsburgh, but it’s a whole different world (5.5 hour drive).
Lake Placid (1hr 20min away)
The Olympic Village. Home to the 1980 Miracle on Ice, Ski jumps, and Whiteface Mountain.
The 1,000 Islands (3.5hrs away)
The 1,000 Islands region that made the salad dressing famous is a great day trip. Visit the Boldt Castle and the Antique Boat Museum. http://visit1000islands.com
Adirondack River Outfitters Adventures (2hrs away)
Whitewater rafting. The waters won’t be as high as they are in the spring, but rafting the Moose River, the Black River, or the Hudson River will be a memorable event for your group.
Enchanted Forest Water Safari (3hrs away)
Located in New York’s Adirondack State Park in Old Forge, NY, the Enchanted Forest Water Safari is New York’s Largest Water Theme Park with over 50 rides & attractions including 32 of the wettest and wildest water rides!
Six Flags Great Escape Fun Park (2 hrs away)
Nestled among the beautiful Adirondack Mountains between Saratoga Springs and Lake George, New York the Six Flags Great Escape Lodge and Indoor Water Park is a 200 room lodge with an indoor water park.
Fort Ticonderoga (1.5 hrs away)
History buffs will appreciate the location of the first victory of the American Revolution.
Cooperstown (4 hrs away)
Baseball lovers will enjoy the home of the National Baseball hall of fame.
Burlington, VT (1 hr away)
Take a quick ferry ride ($) across Lake Champlain to Burlington, VT. Visit Church Street Marketplace for some shopping and great food then head on out for a tour of the Lake Champlain Chocolate Factory. Boat tours and quiet parks are also great finds.
That’s right–there is plenty to do right in our backyard! Head on over to the Champlain Valley Mall to do some shopping and catch a movie. Looking to just relax? Head on out to Cumberland Bay State Park only 15 minutes away!
Plattsburgh is just a stone’s throw away from the beautiful, 3,125sq mile, Adirondack Park. Looking for an outdoor adventure or a great hike for your group? There are plenty of options! Check out the website for more information: