Springfield High School
This camp is a “Next Level” Catholic HEART Workcamp. It is open to those entering the 8th grade in the fall of 2017 and older.
- To Be Announced
- The first agency we work with is an organization which serves the needs of Springfield residents with severe special intellectual special needs to the point that they need to be monitored 24 hours a day. The organization provides living quarters (12 group homes through out Springfield)as well two warehouse facilities where some of the higher functioning residents can work at a job. They get paid for the work they do. This year CHWC will paint the garages and and outside decks for all twelve houses as well as landscaping for each. in addition, both working facilities are going to be painted. Over 100 campers will be assigned to various projects with this organization this summer
- We plan to paint at least 15 houses in an area of Springfield where there is a concentration of low income house owners.
- During the summer the trees in the park district need mulching to protect them from the summer heat. The park district staff is not big enough handle this task. This is were we come in.
- We work with a school that provides education to low income students. During the summer we clean the entire facility inside and outside. Last year we painted the chain link fence surrounding the complex. This year the school will have additional painting projects.
- Last year we worked on clearing a huge field so that kids would have an area to play baseball or other outside sports during the summer. There is still a large section of small trees and weeds to clear along a fence line.
- We also work with a program that provides a meal and an individual tutoring mentor for students in the public school district who are currently homeless. This is the first year of the project which has had great success. CHWC will work to build a playing area outside near the building and some painting projects within the building.
FREE DAY ACTIVITIES
Looking for Lincoln
The Looking for Lincoln Heritage area encompasses numerous communities in central Illinois, and includes a remarkable array of places where Lincoln actually spent time. The area is rich in Lincoln history and stories. From the village of New Salem, where Lincoln spent his early adulthood, to his home and final resting place in Springfield, you’ll be left with no doubt about why Illinois is known as the Land of Lincoln.
Knight’s Action Park
Knight’s Action Park is a miniature golf park, driving range and Caribbean-themed water park in Springfield. It also has go-karts, arcade games, and an outdoor movie screen.
Six Flags St. Louis (1hr 45min away)
Hundreds of rides including the famous Screaming Eagle roller coaster, arcade games, Broadway-style shows & attractions, and great food. Join Six Flags St. Louis to celebrate family fun for all ages!
Union Station Chicago (3hr away)
Union Station is the 3rd busiest rail terminal in the United States, handling approximately 120,000 passengers on an average weekday, and one of Chicago’s most iconic structures, reflecting the city’s strong architectural heritage and historical achievements