- Central to the school district, South Winneshiek houses a mere 300+ high school students.
- Most of the sleeping rooms are air-conditioned but you may want to bring a box fan just in case. Non air-conditioned rooms are on lower level and are generally cooler. The school is divided into separate wings, one wing for girls, another for guys.
- Program will be in the Auditorium which is air-conditioned! Comfortable cushioned seating.
- We have partitioned off the showers to make them semi-private.
- There is a large room air- conditioned for relaxing during free time, as well as a nice grassy area for activities outside.
- All worksites are 10-30 minutes away from the school Small communities, friendly neighbors!
- Plenty of parking and easy access for buses and all vehicles adjacent to the school. Gym (not air-conditioned) will be accessible for free time and there is a great track and trails for runners.
- We will be working in small town communities that will include minor home repair, such as general cleanup and repairing, painting, indoors and outdoors, general yard clean up.
- We may rebuild ramps and put in new ones. There are some major repairs at times that need expert trouble shooters; let us know if you can be one of those trouble shooters in your individual application.
- We also work with elderly and low-income agencies to help do general clean up/repair. There will be a Habitat House going up that we will hopefully be a part of!
Off the Driftless (15 mins away)
Currently offering tubes, canoes and kayaks for rent. They shuttle you up the Upper Iowa River to different put-ins, with you landing at their business location, or you can take the equipment yourself. Make sure to plan ahead and reserve your activity. Great for beginners or experienced levels! Read more about Off the Driftless.
Lost Island Waterpark (1 hr 20 mins away)
Lost Island is a tropical getaway hidden in the heart of the Midwest. Walking through the gates will make you feel like you just stepped off in some far destination. Enjoy the Wailua Kupua, one of the first hydromagnetic watercoasters in the country! Splash around in Tsunami Bay, race your friends down Ta’Katipo or float around the Kailahi River. With over 20 attractions at the park, you won’t get bored!
Adventureland (3 hrs away)
This amusement park and water park is located about three hours south of Calmar, a good stopping point if you decide to head out on Friday morning. Adventureland has over 100 rides, shows and attractions including some of the country’s most exciting roller coasters and thrill rides. There are also plenty of rides for the less adventurous guests. Between magic shows, circus acts and live music, there’s something for everyone! Click here for more details.