- The Saranac Lake campus is the main campus for North Country Community College and is located in the Adirondack mountains.
- Sleeping arrangements: Everyone will be sleeping in the campus dorm buildings. Each dorm is composed of 4 suites with 4 bedrooms and a living room in each suite. Ladies and gentlemen will be housed in separate dorms. There is no air conditioning, but there are screened windows in each suite.
- Showers: All showers are on site. There is one shower in each suite and two locker rooms with 12 showers each.
- Program area is in the gym. There is no air conditioning but we tend to have cooler mornings and evenings (50s-60s).
- CHWC partners with several agencies and serves many individual residents in order to provide a vast variety of services to those in need and those that are homebound in our area.
- Worksites range from 5 minutes to 40 minutes from the school.
- Work projects include anything from yard work to home repairs, and there are numerous painting sites. We hope to work with local nursing homes where campers will be visiting and assisting the elderly with daily trips and tasks.
Two Things of Note:
- If you are planning a trip into Canada, passports and letters from parents are required to cross the border.
- New York City may be in the same state as Saranac Lake, but it’s a whole different world (5 hour drive).
Lake Placid (15 min away)
The Olympic Village. Home to the 1980 Miracle on Ice, Ski jumps, and Whiteface Mountain.
The 1,000 Islands (2.5hrs away)
The 1,000 Islands region that made the salad dressing famous is a great day trip. Visit the Boldt Castle and the Antique Boat Museum. http://visit1000islands.com
Adirondack River Outfitters Adventures (2hrs away)
Whitewater rafting. The waters won’t be as high as they are in the spring, but rafting the Moose River, the Black River, or the Hudson River will be a memorable event for your group.
Enchanted Forest Water Safari (2hrs away)
Located in New York’s Adirondack State Park in Old Forge, NY, the Enchanted Forest Water Safari is New York’s Largest Water Theme Park with over 50 rides & attractions including 32 of the wettest and wildest water rides!
Six Flags Great Escape Fun Park (2 hrs away)
Nestled among the beautiful Adirondack Mountains between Saratoga Springs and Lake George, New York the Six Flags Great Escape Lodge and Indoor Water Park is a 200 room lodge with an indoor water park.
Fort Ticonderoga (1.5 hrs away)
History buffs will appreciate the location of the first victory of the American Revolution.
Cooperstown (3.5 hrs away)
Baseball lovers will enjoy the home of the National Baseball hall of fame.
Burlington, VT (2 hr away)
Take a quick ferry ride ($) across Lake Champlain to Burlington, VT. Visit Church Street Marketplace for some shopping and great food then head on out for a tour of the Lake Champlain Chocolate Factory. Boat tours and quiet parks are also great finds.
Plattsburgh, NY (1 hr away)
That’s right–there is plenty to do right in our backyard! Head on over to the Champlain Valley Mall to do some shopping and catch a movie. Looking to just relax? Head on out to Cumberland Bay State Park!
Saranac Lake is nestled in this beautiful, 3,125sq mile park. Looking for an outdoor adventure or a great hike for your group? There are plenty of options! Check out the website for more information: