This camp is a “Next Level” Catholic HEART Workcamp. It is open to those entering the 8th grade in the fall of 2019 and older.
Sacred Heart-Griffin is the Catholic, Dominican college preparatory high school in Springfield. Prior to 1988, the campus was an all girls school. Currently, the school is co-ed and divided into main and west campus facilities. The main campus was updated in 1995 with a new addition containing additional classrooms and a chapel.
- The school is air-conditioned.
- There are separate locker rooms for under 17 year olds and over 18 year olds.
- All showers are private with curtains (no communal showers).
- There is a beautiful chapel on campus.
Campers will sleep 15-20 comfortably in classrooms.
- We plan to paint at least 15 houses in an area of Springfield where there is a concentration of low income house owners.
- During the summer, the trees in the park district need mulching to protect them from the summer heat. The park district staff is not big enough handle this task; this is were we come in.
- We work with a school that provides education to low income students. During the summer we clean the entire facility–inside and outside. In the past, this project has involved interior and/or exterior painting.
- We also work with a program that provides a meal and an individual tutoring mentor for students in the public school district who are currently homeless. CHWC will work to build a playing area outside near the building and some painting projects within the building.
Looking for Lincoln
The Looking for Lincoln Heritage area encompasses numerous communities in central Illinois and includes a remarkable array of places where Lincoln actually spent time. The area is rich in Lincoln history and stories. From the village of New Salem where Lincoln spent his early adulthood, to his home and final resting place in Springfield, you’ll be left with no doubt about why Illinois is known as the Land of Lincoln.
Knight’s Action Park
Knight’s Action Park is a miniature golf park, driving range and Caribbean-themed water park in Springfield. It also has go-karts, arcade games and an outdoor movie screen.
Six Flags St. Louis (1 hr 45 mins away)
Hundreds of rides, including the famous Screaming Eagle roller coaster, arcade games, Broadway-style shows & attractions and great food. Visit Six Flags St. Louis to celebrate family fun for all ages!
Union Station Chicago (3 hrs away)
Union Station is the 3rd busiest rail terminal in the United States, handling approximately 120,000 passengers on an average weekday. It’s one of Chicago’s most iconic structures, reflecting the city’s strong architectural heritage and historical achievements